Wednesday, February 12, 2014

June

For me, June was of course the month that school ended, when I was young.  I also associate it with lilac blossoms and such.  It's also a time when rhubarb ripens, so I associate it with rhubarb pie. I remember in June when I was twenty-two, reading the introduction to Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales and eating rhubarb pie. (At least I think I did them at the same time; maybe it's a composite memory.)

I also associate Juen with good weather, when it's quite warm but not yet uncomfortably hot as in July.  But there was one June when I was fifteen, when it rained for almost the whole month (This was a time when everything seemed to be going wrong for me.)

Later on, especially in my twenties, I'd associate June with the opening of blockbuster summer movies.  I actually saw the movie musical Grease on the June night that it opened when I was sixteen!  Now that I'm older, movies don't seem so important.  But there's still rhubarb pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment