Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Fruit preserves

My mother used to make strawberry jam when strawberries were in season. (She used the artificial pectin that came in envelopes of Certo.) And in September she'd make chow chow from fresh tomatoes, a smell I always liked.

After we got a freezer, we'd freeze fresh strawberries and raspberries.  It always bugs me when they're frozen with too little sugar:  it just doesn't taste as good.  There are some people who'll make a recipe the way it says, but reduce the amount of sugar or butter by a half or two thirds.  When the recipe is ruined, they don't care.  It'll just have to do. (A few years ago my brother made us a rhubarb pie with hardly any sugar.)

Which reminds me of Jello.  I learned to make Jello when I was young.  You mix the powder in a cup of boiling water, add another cup of cold water, then let it cool in the refrigerator.  I especially liked the "skin," the tough part that develops on the bottom of the bowl where extra powder settles.  For variety, you can put it in the freezer and it'll get icy.  Or you can mix flavors.  I have a feeling that when I'm approaching the end of my life, I'll wish I'd eaten more Jello. (Remember that TV commercial where the farmer said "Hey, you kids get out of that Jello tree!"?)

No comments:

Post a Comment