Sunday, November 22, 2015

Electricity

Electric power is one of those things we take for granted.  Two centuries ago it was unknown, one century ago rural houses didn't have it, and even now much of the world goes without it.  It allows us to stay up late and use radio, TV and the internet.  And it makes housework a lot easier.

It takes a blackout now and then to make us appreciate electricity in our life.  Remember the big blackout of 2003?  I was on a streetcar when it struck, and had to get off and walk home.  We had to eat raw food.  That night I saw more stars than I had in ages!  The next day I had an appointment with my psychiatrist and walked all the way there, which took a few hours.

The provincial government plans to privatize Ontario Hydro, and I think that stinks!  I'm still angry that after Margaret Thatcher senselessly privatized British electricity, Tony Blair passively treated even this privatization as irreversible.

No comments:

Post a Comment