Thursday, February 16, 2017

Series books

When I was thirteen or fourteen I went through a Hardy Boys phase.  My favorite character was their plus-size sidekick Chet Morton.  They'd always get into danger but solve the mystery and nail the crooks in the end. (And they could do things like fly planes!) I also read several Tom Swift books, but never tried Nancy Drew or the Bobbsey Twins.

I've read all the books in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series.  I like them, but the series I really love is Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, which is a sort of atheist counterpart to C.S. Lewis' Narnia books. (I tried The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe but did not like it.  It's moralistic nonsense, and having children fight in a holy war is remarkably tasteless.)

In recent years I've read Mazo de la Roche's Jalna series.  When I was really young, I think I read all of Enid Blyton's Noddy books.  Someday I'm going to read the whole series of L. Frank Baum's Oz books!

I've also read all the books in Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House series.  They're wonderful books, way better than the shameless TV show. Someone's written a spinoff series about Laura's daughter, and I may read that someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment