Wednesday, May 3, 2017

The dentist

Dentistry isn't my favorite subject.  It reminds me that I'm naturally a coward.  Recently my current dentist mentioned that one of my old fillings was unusually close to a nerve.  I think I remember getting that one!

I remember getting my wisdom teeth pulled when I was about thirty.  The hard part is waiting hours for the local anaesthetic to wear off.  It's like being punched in the mouth times a thousand! I'll soon be getting root canal work, which doesn't sound fun.

I suppose that sugar causes tooth decay because there's a curse on it:  growing sugar cane is backbreaking work, and it was mostly sugar production that led to the big increase in New World slavery in the 17th and 18th centuries.

I still have all my non-wisdom teeth, but they're somewhat crooked, and I've thought of getting them straightened.  But it's likely to cost a lot of money, and I don't know if it's worth it at my age.

Once I was eating ice cream and a jagged little piece of plastic from the container got into it. When I felt it in my mouth, I thought it was one of my teeth and got quite a fright!

No comments:

Post a Comment