Monday, November 20, 2017

Roadkill

They say that you can learn a lot about someone from what he finds funny.  Now to show you something about me!

When I was young, there was this Loudon Wainwright song that I found really funny.  It went:

Dead skunk in the middle of the road,
Dead skunk in the middle of the road,
There's a dead skunk in the middle of the road
And he's stinking to high heaven!

I remember a story in the comic strip Calvin & Hobbes where Calvin entered a road safety poster contest.  He drew a picture they never showed, colored with ketchup, with the caption "Be careful, or be roadkill!" Calvin imagined winning the contest and the city putting up a statue of him, but he lost in the end.

I read that as part of the so-called welfare reform movement in the 1990s, New York City forced its welfare recipients to pick up roadkill.  That city sounds like an unpleasant place!

No comments:

Post a Comment