Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Five black dots


"Five black dots" makes me think of dice.  Did you know that a pair of dice have a total of 42 dots between them? That's why Douglas Adams said in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books that the key to the whole universe is the number 42!

Speaking of dice, when I was young we had a lot of Parker Brothers board games.  I don't know how anyone can play Clue!  But Risk was a pretty challenging game, in which the different players set out to conquer the world.  My brother John put all the troops he could spare on Iceland, the gateway between Europe and North America. (He called it "the Homeland"!) I preferred to monopolize Australia, though you could only advance one way from there.

I went through another board game phase in recent years.  I've been learning games like Settlers of Catan and Small World and Ticket to Ride. (Ticket to Ride involves laying railway links across a continent.  I like the version set in Europe the best.) For a while I went to Meetup groups to play these games with other people--some of them are really smart!  But then I lost interest.  Who knows when I'll take them up again?

No comments:

Post a Comment