Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Tea & coffee

I never drink. (It's a habit I inherited from my parents.) I read that Britain's Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn doesn't drink either.  He's my kind of guy.

My parents spent some time in Scotland some thirty years ago and got to know an Iranian couple there.  One thing they had in common was that the Iranians didn't drink either, being Moslem.  In the Iranians' home there was a big picture of Ayatollah Khomeini!

But I go a step further and don't drink tea or coffee either!  They just don't appeal to me.  It's like the Mormons who don't drink liquor or coffee or tea or even soft drinks!  I've heard that some Mormons eat a lot of candy bars because that's the closest they can get to a vice...

I was thinking about the Boston Tea Party.  The reason that's so legendary is because the story appeals to little boys!  Only the vanguard actually dressed as Native Americans, but that's what they remember. "Let's dress up as savages and kick some limey butt!"

I read somewhere that coffee houses are most fashionable in times of speculative frenzy.  Like Holland during the 17th-century tulip mania, or New York City in the 1920s and 1990s.  I guess caffeine gives people an urge to play the markets.

No comments:

Post a Comment