Monday, August 5, 2019

Flirting

I'm not what you call a flirt.  And I'm the sort who's too clueless to notice when a woman's flirting with me.  I don't care for game shows about flirting, like The Dating Game and Studs.  And don't get me started on "reality TV" shows that involve flirting, like Temptation Island or this new show Love Island.  It should be called "unreality TV"!

I guess that flirts and teases make me impatient.  I want to tell them, "Fish or cut bait!" It's funny how in North American popular culture sex is important enough to be obsessed with, but not important enough to be serious about.  That leads to flirting and teasing.  Take something like Miss America:  that's basically a tease pageant, with girls who are virginal yet sexy, yet virginal...  Not to mention the jailbait pop of Britney Spears--and don't get me started on Miley Cyrus! (Back in the '60s flight attendants did the virginal tease routine, and got the sack when they married, got pregnant or turned 30.)

Of course, there's no American monopoly on all this stuff.  In Japan, the institution of the geisha is really the art of the tease. ("Geisha" is actually Japanese for artist.)

There was a funny Australian movie titled Flirting, set in a prep school.

No comments:

Post a Comment