Saturday, March 4, 2023

Habits

The habit I can’t break is going on Twitter and looking for a quarrel. (My handle is Captain Snark.) I do searches for Bernie Sanders and Jeremy Corbyn, two of my heroes.


I don’t usually block Tweeters I don’t like.  I sometimes post, “The first one who blocks, loses.” (I’ve also said, “The first one who cusses, loses.”) In a worst-case scenario, I’ll mute instead of blocking. But there’s one exception.  There’s a musician called Corbyn Besson who’s a member of the boy band Why Don’t We.  When I search the name Corbyn I’ve sometimes got fan posts concerning him, so I’ve blocked hundreds of Corbyn Besson fans—I’ll bet some of them are bots set up by Why Don’t We’s publicity machine.


It annoys me when people say about Jeremy Corbyn “He lost twice!” as if that were the last word about him.  Most people would consider the 2017 election a standoff, considering that the ruling Conservatives lost their majority.  And the main reason for the 2019 defeat was the disastrously ill-timed proposal for a second Brexit referendum that future leader Keir Starmer pushed through.


People say that about Bernie Sanders too.  Their position seems to be “The Democrats rejected him twice, therefore he couldn’t win, therefore they were right to reject him!” When I post that line of circular logic, I accompany it with the emoji for rolling eyes.  It’s incredible that some people keep repeating things about Sanders that are easily debunked.  Like “He doesn’t care about African-Americans” or “He hasn’t accomplished anything in Congress but renaming a couple of post offices.” (When they say that, I post “Google ‘amendment king.’”) It particularly annoys me when they keep calling his supporters “Bernie Bros.” That’s a cynical soundbite that Nixon would be proud of, invented by Hillary Clinton’s campaign to depict them as white males!


Clintonites have some nerve blaming her 2016 defeat on Sanders!  Firstly, Bernie could have double-crossed the Democratic Party and defected to the Green ticket, and might even have won!  But he played it safe and campaigned for her, and actually delivered an even more solid majority of his supporters than she’d delivered for Barack Obama in 2008.  They complain that he stayed in the race too long, yet it’s normal for candidates to continue their campaign all the way to the Convention.


Secondly, two can play the blame game.  During the 2016 primaries the polls almost consistently showed Clinton leading Donald Trump by the same dicey narrow margin that she’d have in the fall, while giving Sanders a much wider, safer lead.  Was defeating Trump less of a priority before Hillary clinched the nomination? (Incidentally, if you can believe that she and Joe Biden won the Democratic nomination “fair and square,” you can believe anything!)


I’m still hoping that Bernie will run again next year!


As you can see, I’m a bit opinionated…

No comments:

Post a Comment