Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Candy


When I was little I recall that a box of chocolates would have greater variety than today.  My favourite is nougats, though some people consider them boring.  I've never liked caramels.  I like strawberry creams and coffee creams and such.  I also like Ferrero Rocher bonbons.

I've never understood the appeal of candy corn or kisses, nor of that British delicacy the caramel-coated apple, which has always struck me as gilding the lily.

When I was little, I loved Roald Dahl's book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  The original movie version with Gene Wilder I liked, though the Oompa-Loompa songs were too preachy. (I've sung "Candy Man" at karaoke.) The recent remake I haven't bothered to see, though Johnny Depp is an actor I often like.

That Forrest Gump line about life being a box of chocolates actually stands the book version on its head!  Winston Groom's novel begins with the sentence, "Bein' an idiot ain't no box of chocolates." If they couldn't be faithful to that line, you'd think they'd have left it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment