Monday, January 19, 2015

Cult TV shows & movies

When they aired the David Lynch TV series Twin Peaks in 1990, I was onto it right from the start. (1990 was an annus mirabilis for TV, with shows like The Simpsons and the PBS documentary about the Civil War.) I liked all the details like the cops returning to the station house and finiding a tray stacked with doughnuts.  There was violence in it, but it was emotionally honest violence.

One cult show I discovered on DVD is Freaks and Geeks from 1999.  That's a show about high-schoolers set around 1980, with a real sense of its time. (It's not like the superficial 1950s atmosphere of Happy Days, where they'd just put classic rock & roll on the soundtrack and insert references to '50s TV shows into the dialogue.) And the father was played by Joe Flaherty, one of the funniest people in the world.  It's a shame he didn't have as big a career as most of the other comedians on SCTV.

I've never really got into Star Trek.  But I have watched some British cult shows from the 1960s, like Doctor Who and The Avengers and The Prisoner.

And I haven't got into the practice of going to see a cult movie over and over, like some people do with The Rocky Horror Picture Show.  But I have seen the Marx Brothers movie Horse Feathers about ten times.  And there are classic Warner Brothers cartoons that I've seen innumerable times.

No comments:

Post a Comment