Monday, January 5, 2015

Walt Disney

When I was a kid, one of my favourite TV shows was The Wonderful World of Disney.  I remember how I'd watch the last five or so minutes of Hymn Sing before the show came on, and the first commercial after the show's end would always be for the new Disney movie.

I also enjoyed the Disney comics published by Gold Key, with Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge and the inventor Gyro Gearloose. Some of their adventures involved time-travelling to ancient Greece, with the Minotaur and the Golden Fleece and Battle of Marathon. (This was the first time I read of these legends.)

I also saw some Disney movies.  Cinderella I saw at an early age, and even then I found the "Bibbity, bobbity, boo" song annoying.  I saw The Sword in the Stone when I was twelve, and it meant a lot to me at that time in my life, when school was a bad experience for me. (And I saw Mary Poppins about three times.) My favourite Disney animated movie is Lady and the Tramp, which I didn't see till I was in my twenties.

One Disney movie I haven't seen is the leprechaun movie Darby O'Gill and the Little People.  But my sister Moira saw it and hated it!

I've watched Disney cartoon shorts on video and the early ones are really imaginative, with a surprising amount of off-colour humour.  But overall, the Warner Brothers cartoons are funnier.

I keep my house key on a Goofy key ring.  I haven't been to Disneyland in California, but it's on my "bucket list."

No comments:

Post a Comment