Saturday, June 27, 2015

Italian food and culture

I love good Italian food!  When I was young we ate spaghetti often, but we didn't start eating lasagna till I was a teenager. (When I was little I saw a movie from the '30s with Shirley Temple learning to eat spaghetti:  back then it was still an "ethnic" food.) In more recent years, I've learned to make fettuccine alfredo, from a recipe on a calendar promoting milk.  I'm told I make it well.

I love Italian culture too.  I know a bit of the language:  when you know enough French and Latin, the other romance languages get easier to learn. (It's the same with Spanish and Portuguese.) I played the piano when I was young, and learned at lot of Italian musical directions that way.  I'm a fan of Italian opera, of course.  And there are a lot of Italian movies I love.  Directors like Vittorio di Sica know how to make honestly sad movies (not manipulative tearjerkers like Love Story and Titanic). The Bicycle Thief was so sad that I don't think I could ever see it again.

I've never actually visited Italy. (I guess I should add it to my bucket list.) One place I'd like to visit there is Bomarzo Gardens, a place near Rome full of grotesque Renaissance statues.  If I ever make a billion dollars, I'll build a Canadian version.

No comments:

Post a Comment