Saturday, July 4, 2015

My first computer

When I was a teenager, we got a TRS-80 microcomputer from Radio Shack.  It had a pretty tiny memory compared to today's models, but I learned the Basic language for computers from it.  You could also play a few games, like one where you were trying to land a spaceship on the moon, and had to calculate things so its downward speed would be zero or just over when it reached the surface.

In the early '80s when IBM released the PC, my brother went down to Boston to buy one.  But my father didn't get one of the new ones until 1987.  He bought an Atari model because it was the cheapest in the store. (You have to fight him before he'll buy the second cheapest!) Unfortunately, it malfunctioned several times.  In 1989 we got a Mac, and that's my preferred brand to this day.

It was in the early '90s that I first bought a laptop.  We finally going the online world in 1996.  I now have a desktop in my room and spend too much time on it. (I don't have time for TV any more!)

I've never got one of those iPads that you can carry around with you.  For me, going out of doors is a time to get away from computers.  And text messaging is a mystery to me.  But I kind of like emoji!

No comments:

Post a Comment