Saturday, August 22, 2015

A lucky break

I'll admit I've had some lucky breaks in my life.  One is that when I entered York University in 1990, it was the same time that Ted Goossen became a professor there and he needed a research assistant. (We were both in the East Asian field.) We were a good fit.

Another is that my sister Margaret and her husband were at the  Goodenough College residence in London, England, for half a year in 1994.  It just so happened that I needed to go to London to research my Ph.D. thesis at the Public Records Office and some other places, and Margaret put in a good word for me!  It was the best eight months of my life.

And there was the time in 2003 when I noticed that the Toronto District School Boards night school courses included one in opera.  I was interested in it, but it was the same night as an acting class I wanted to take.  As it turned out, the acting class got cancelled so I got to take the opera course after all.  A dozen years later, I'm still in the Toronto City Opera chorus.

No comments:

Post a Comment