Sunday, August 9, 2015

Learning to drive

I've never learned to drive.  It just wasn't a big priority to me.  I can't imagine how someone parallel parks.  And it's a big responsibility too. (At least a car isn't a horse, which also entails the responsibility of a pet!)

That's one reason I'm glad I live in a big city, with its mass transit removing the need for driving. (My father stopped driving and got rid of our car a couple of years ago.) It must be terrible to live in one of those suburbs where everything is designed to be car-friendly.

Of course, getting a driver's licence is an important rite of passage for most teenagers.  I was reading about this eccentric dictator in the republic of Turkmenistan. (He erected a gold-plated statue of himself.) He published a book detailing his ideology, and before someone could get a driver's licence he had to pass a test on that book!  That dictator knew how to assert his power in a way that young people couldn't ignore, but it seems awfully petty.

No comments:

Post a Comment