Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Classroom films

I remember seeing classroom films when I was young.  There was Holiday From Rules, in which a bunch of bratty kids who hate rules get put on a desert island without any rules, leading to anarchy. (If you ask me, micromanagement vs. chaos is a false choice.)

There was also one in a western setting where a bad kid in a black hat challenged a good kid in a white hat to a foot race. (White Hat was a better kid than Black Hat because he did things like eat a hot breakfast.  I don't do that today!) The main thing I remember was that Black hat tried to cheat by running across a railway line, but got his foot caught in the ties just as a train was coming along!  Unfortunately, he got saved by White Hat in the nick of time.  We should have all booed.

Then in Grade 8 we saw a British film teaching school lab safety through comedy.  It opened with a slapstick western scene involving dynamite, complete with an Indian saying, "White man speak with forked tongue!" But that had no relation to the rest of the film; it was just to grab our attention.  The main part of the film had this big doofus called Bernie in a school lab making mistakes we were encouraged to spot. ("My microscope bulb is burnt out.  I'll use the sun!")

You can find a lot of unintentionally funny classroom films on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment