Monday, February 29, 2016

A concert

When I was thirteen, I went to a Bachmann-Turner Overdrive concert at the C.N.E.  This was the time of their mega-album Not Fragile.  Real truck music!  At one point people in the audience started lighting matches and they had to ask them to put them out. (I noticed there was a fire truck stationed nearby.)

But I don't go to rock concerts in general.  I did attend a Sheena Easton concert at Massey Hall when I was twenty.  She told the audience of seeing a Coronation Street episode on Canadian TV that was so old one of its characters was long dead. (I heard that she invested in California real estate and got really rich.)

When I lived in London, I saw a couple of classical music concerts when my sister Moira visited me. (One of them featured Canadian pianist Louis Lortie.) I also saw a Proms concert at the Albert Hall--not the last night--where they did Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain, Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra and a Shostakovich viola concerto.  And I saw the classic silent movie Sunrise at the Royal Festival Hall with a Colin Davis score played by a live orchestra!  That's the only thing that beats a live piano accompaniment.

I've seen a couple of concerts at Roy Thomson Hall.  At one they did Carl Orff's neoclassical Carmina Burana.  And at another they showed classic Warner Brothers cartoons with a live orchestra playing the musical scores!

No comments:

Post a Comment