Friday, May 13, 2016

Movies seen repeatedly

The movie I've seen more than any other is probably the 1932 comedy Horse Feathers.  That's a Marx Brothers vehicle (one of the early ones when Zeppo was still in the group), set on a college campus.  They made it before the Production Code was introduced, so there's a lot of off-colour humour:  a scene in a speakeasy, and a sexy woman euphemistically known as the College Widow.  There are a lot of great lines like "The faculty can keep their seats.  There'll be no diving for this cigar!" Groucho plays college president Quincy Adams Wagstaff, and has a funny song that goes, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!"

I've seen The Maltese Falcon more often than I can count. (Yet it never loses its fearsome freshness!) And I've seen several musicals quite a bit, like Mary Poppins and Oliver!  The other week I saw the spaghetti western Once Upon a Time in the West for the fifth time!  Another western I've seen a lot is John Ford's The Searchers. And I've seen Citizen Kane quite a bit.  Next week I may see Stanley Kramer's slapstick comedy It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World for at least the fifth time.  I've seen Lawrence of Arabia a lot, but I sometimes leave in the intermission, before it gets gory!

No comments:

Post a Comment