Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Unusual travel experiences

I can't think of a lot of unusual experiences while travelling.  There was the time we were in Lille, France, and my father asked a Frenchman for directions in his best French.  The Frenchman didn't understand him so Father kept repeating himself, but it turned out that the poor man was deaf!

I remember the time where we were in a Dutch bed & breakfast in Holland. (Bike paths there have their own traffic lights!) I noticed a low ceiling with an English sign saying, "Spare your head"!  I love those foreign idioms.

Back when I was seventeen we visited England just when I was reading the I, Claudius sequel Claudius the God. (I'm rereading it just now.) That novel includes an account of the Roman conquest of Britain, so I got to see some of the relevant places (like Hadrian's Wall). We visited Stonehenge around the time of the summer solstice, so there were a whole lot of hippies nearby, at a Merrie England festival!

And I remember this antique shop in the United States with a sign outside saying "Don't bring your garbage in here." They had enough junk already!

No comments:

Post a Comment