Wednesday, September 21, 2016

X-rated movies

The first X-rated movie I saw was Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange when I was seventeen.  It has a witty performance by Malcolm McDowell, but the futuristic satire is pretty heavy-handed, especially the scene with the social worker.  Someone told me he had to leave in the middle because in the rape scene where he's singing "Singin' in the Rain," the young men in the audience were singing along with him!

There's also Last Tango in Paris.  My sister saw it when it played our small New Brunswick hometown Sackville.  She recalls that the place was packed and everyone in her row kept giggling!

Do you like Vincent Price movies?  In America they're considered good kiddie fun, but in Britain they got rated X! (The British also gave Tom Jones an X rating, though it doesn't seem so dirty today.) Marlon Brando's biker movie The Wild One actually got banned in Britain for over a decade.

And then there are the movies that should have been rated X but escaped through token cuts.  Like Basic Instinct, which is Hollywood at its most cynical.  Or The Exorcist, which scared a lot of people, but when I finally saw it, it left me cold.  And there's also Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut, which I just didn't get.  The orgy scene seemed elaborately silly.  In the end I found it all pointless.

No comments:

Post a Comment