Friday, January 13, 2017

Elementary school

I spent my first school years at Central School in Sackville, N.B. (They had a klaxon sounding period changes.) I could already read in Grade One so I was a bit advanced.  One thing I remember is that in Grade Three we had a class devoted to space.  In that grade a guy called Timmy Long had perfect attendance that year. (I think he's on the town council now.)

One of the things I remember is that when a kid threw up in class--I don't think I ever did--the janitor would come in and pour dustbane all over the mess.  I also remember the Sports Day in Grade Three.  They had seven events and in each one where you succeeded you'd get a ribbon in one of seven colours.  I only earned three, while everyone else I could see got at least four!  I cried.

I also remember some of the Lippincott Readers we used.  There was one story about how the American constitution was devised (a nice Canadian subject!), and I managed to remember that the first new states were Vermont and Kentucky.  And there was a story about the childhood of Swedish singer Jenny Lind.  And one about a young refugee in Chicago who'd just lost his whole family in a big forest fire, and swiped a rich guy's coat but returned all the money inside. (He just wanted the coat.)

No comments:

Post a Comment