Friday, January 20, 2017

Libraries

I like libraries.  It would be nice to have a job as a librarian.  Back in the 1980s, when I was a student, I spent a lot of time at Mount Allison University's octogonal-shaped library, especially the ground floor where they kept the magazines and newspapers.  I dream about it often.  And in the '90s I frequented the Scott Library at York University and the Robarts Library at the University of Toronto.

Toronto has an excellent public library system, one of the strong points of living here. (I often go to the Wychwood library near St. Clair & Bathurst.  I actually live closer to the Davenport library, but it isn't as big.) I especially like the system where you can order a book from a faraway branch and they'll ship it to the branch nearest you.

I like the children's book collection here at Lillian Smith.  I've looked at several books I remember from my youth, by authors like Edward Ardizzone (Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain), M. Sasek (This is London) and of course Toni Ungerer.

Libraries not only promote reading but serve an important social function.  Selia has mentioned that branches like Lillian Smith often provide a quiet place for homeless people to hang out.

No comments:

Post a Comment