Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Neighbors

Remember Jim Nabors?  Besides playing Gomer Pyle ("Gaw-lee!") he had a deep singing voice.  He was the guest star on all eleven season premieres of The Carol Burnett Show, which I watched faithfully.  I read somewhere that these days he grows macadamia nuts in Hawaii!  A showbiz columnist wrote about him, "He's one star who took care of his money and knows how to live well."

When I was in Britain almost thirty years ago there was a really popular Australian soap opera titled Neighbors. (Kylie Minogue started out on that show before becoming a pop star.) One of the tabloid newspapers revealed the phone number of one of the show's actors, so he started getting phone calls from England, mostly around the time the show was on in the afternoon, which in Australian time means the wee hours!  What an awful thing to do!

I haven't talked much about my own neighbors.  I guess I should get to know them better.  My grandfather once visited a neighbor who was sick, and said to him, "By God, Mac, you're looking pale!"

No comments:

Post a Comment