Friday, April 14, 2017

Daydreamers

When I was a kid I spent a lot of time in dreams.  I haven't done that so much in recent years, but I've had a few idle fantasies.  I think I'd like to go to China and get a job introducing western movies to Chinese audiences.  I don't suppose there's any demand for such people (my sister says all China wants to see movies like The Fast and the Furious) but I think I'd be good at it anyway!

And recently I was thinking that if I had a wife or girlfriend we should visit the state of Maine and climb up Mt. Katahdin at the northern end of the Appalachian Trail.  It would also be fun to climb the mountains in Maine's Acadia National Park or Cape Breton.

If I were rich, my big indulgence would be travel.  I was fantasizing about travelling on a cruise ship around the world, though that might get boring eventually.  I've recently been dreaming at night of visiting Russia, which is odd because in daytime I'm not interested in it.

Now if I were a billionaire, I'd buy some land in the Laurentians and hire sculptors to build an equivalent of the grotesque statues in Italy's Bomarzo Gardens.  It would be great to build a statue of Glooscap, the hero of Micmac nation legend, to be seen from a distance sailing away on his whale.  And I'd also like a statue of Humphrey Gilbert at the prow of his ship pointing upward, about to hit a rock face! And one of King Lear ranging on the moor...

No comments:

Post a Comment