Wednesday, April 12, 2017

The tchotchke that won't go away

I've accumulated a bit of junk over the years.  I got a cheap dance trophy or two from the Arthur Murray people.  I also got a Creech action figure from the Spawn comic books. (I wonder where it's gone?)

I won Creech some years back in a trivia contest at  a Rue Morgue magazine horror movie screening at the Bloor Cinema:  I think it was for an Edgar Allen Poe movie with Vincent Price, maybe The Masque of Red Death.  The question was what was the top-grossing B-movie of 1976, and I guessed that it was Grizzly because they mentioned that it was a blatant Jaws ripoff!

My mother liked to collect antiques.  Once we were driving through the United States and stopped at an antique shop so she could look around. (She didn't buy anything.) There was a sign telling people not to bring their garbage inside, and I quipped, "They have enough junk already!" Sometimes the joke writes itself...

One of our antiques is a mantelpiece clock whose wooden case includes some classical pillars.  It was probably made by German-Canadians, because it came from Kitchener back when it was called Berlin, before World War I came along and the residents proved their patriotism by renaming the town after Britain's big general.

We also have some Hummel figurines of little kids, from a line that's mentioned in The Encyclopedia of Bad Taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment