Saturday, May 12, 2018

An unusual experience

I haven't had a lot of unusual experiences.  There was the time I spent a week on jury duty, which was pretty stupid because I was still a student, and students never get chosen for the actual juries. (They're too unpredictable.) And there's the time I took our VCR in for servicing in Thornhill or somewhere, which was an adventure because I'd never been in that part of town before.

There's also the time my opera group did a master class, so I got to sing solo in a concert.  It can be a bit intimidating:  you're up on stage in front of an auditorium with this big vacuum for your voice to fill, and it takes talent to even half-fill it.  But if your voice is resonant enough to fill that space, there's no feeling like that!

I participated in a few of these master classes.  In one I sang the sorcerer's aria from Offenbach's Tales of Hoffmann.  In another I sang Mephistopheles' aria "Le Veau d'Or" from Gounod's Faust.  At one rehearsal Henry sang Gounod's "Ave Maria" just before me, and I quipped, "From Gounod's heaven to Gounod's hell!"

No comments:

Post a Comment