Sunday, May 20, 2018

Frogs



When I think of frogs, I think of Kermit the Muppet.  When I was little I saw this Muppet TV special Hey, Cinderella! with Kermit and Splurge, a big monster who liked radishes. (I recall Splurge saying, "Radish!!") The King was also a Muppet, and seeing the show in later years I noticed that he resembled Henry Fonda's father Eugene Pallette in the screwball comedy The Lady Eve.

Kermit was in another special The Frog Prince.  The prince sang this song that went:

They call me Sir Robin the Brave,
And history one day will rave!
I'm gallant and daring, and noble of bearing,
Courageous and gallant, a mountain of talent,
And all the girls curtsey and wave,
Because I'm Sir Robin the Brave!

But after being turn into a frog, he ended the song with, 

But now no-one will curtsey and wave, 
Because I'm Sir Robin the Frog...

There was this tongue-tied princess who kept saying about her evil stepmother, "Bake the hall in the candle of her brain," but at a crucial moment Kermit figured out that she meant, "Break the ball in the handle of her cane"!

There was another special, The Muppet Musicians of Bremen, who included a cat who was friendly with the mice, and sang a song that went, "You gotta know your friends, boys, you gotta know your friends!" There was also a mule who said to him, "It's time you retired....  I'll go get my gun and retire you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment