Saturday, July 27, 2019

Weddings

I've only been to a few weddings in my lifetime. (My mother didn't care for them herself.) And I've never actually married anyone...

Back when I was 19 I woke up early in the morning to watch Charles and Diana's royal wedding.  Today I feel a bit ashamed to admit that I cared about the Royals that much. (I didn't see William's wedding or Harry's.)

MTV used to show music videos connecting marriage to death, a rather adolescent cliche.  In Greg Kihn's "Jeopardy" his bride decomposes before his eyes.  In Billy Idol's "White Wedding," we see a coffin being nailed shut.  Commitment is death!

Remember the cartoon Herman?  In one episode someone asks a minister, "If you're dead set against gambling, why do you perform so many marriages?"

My parents were married for almost 60 years.  Which reminds me of a joke, of course.  This man has been married for sixty years and his grandson asks, "How have you stayed married for so long?  What's your secret?" And he answers, "My secret is, I decide all the big stuff and she decides all the small stuff.  And so far, it's all been small stuff!"

No comments:

Post a Comment