Saturday, February 1, 2020

Mondays

There was a case of a girl who shot up her classroom and explained, "I don't like Mondays." (The Boomtown Rats made a song about it.)

For me, Monday nights used to be when I went to choir practice.  I was in the Giuseppe Verdi Chorus, which did a lot of Italian songs.  I especially liked my first year there when all the music was new and challenging for me.  I discovered a lot of good music there:  opera, classical, Christmas, Italian folk songs.

Today, Monday is the afternoon when I go to this memoir group.  I only discovered it seven years ago, because I'd joined a group on meetup.com that made an event of going there.  The group didn't last, but here I am in the group still.

One thing I like about this group is the chance to write by hand each week.  Cursive script may be a dying art, but it's a nice change of pace compared to typing posts online.

And of course, it's an occasion to meet friends.  That may not seem like much to some, but in the earlier part of my life I had few friends. (Friendships just didn't interest me.) If you asked me what I consider the biggest achievement in my life, I'd have to say, "Making friends."

No comments:

Post a Comment