Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Skating

I used to skate when I was young.  But I never played hockey--team sports just didn't interest me.  We sometimes skated at Allison Gardens on the Mount Allison University campus.  The rink sometimes played recorded music like "Wonderful Copenhagen."  Sometimes we'd bring our lunch there.

I also had a pair of roller skates once, but I didn't get much use out of them.  And I've never tried rollerblading.

I remember the rule the Red Cross or someone had on judging how safe ice was for skating from its thickness.  One inch, keep off; two inches, one may; three inches, small groups; four inches, OK!

Figure skating is one of those sports they show on TV a lot, like golf.  It's a sport that you have to dress up for, whereas most athletes dress down. Does anyone remember the TV show Stars on Ice?  That was on over thirty years ago!

I used to play Emile Waldteufel's piano piece "Skater's Waltz."

No comments:

Post a Comment