Thursday, March 5, 2020

Desserts

When I was young I used to make Duncan Hines cake mixes. (I read that the reason those mixes require an egg was so that housewives could feel they were doing real cooking instead of just mixing!) I remember liking Pepperidge Farm layer cakes.

The gooiest dessert I've ever eaten would be Vachon's caramel cakes.  Once was definitely enough for me--even today I wouldn't want to try it again.

What's my favourite cookie?  I like those oatmeal cookies with raisins in them. (I prefer soft cookies to hard ones.) I also like Peak Freens assorted cremes, especially the round ones that don't have jelly in the middle.  I think I like Oreo Thins too.

When it's my birthday I go to Loblaw's and buy a big strawberry cake with little curls of white chocolate.

When I was young we used to eat these Robin Hood brand puddings with hot sauce.  But they don't seem to sell them anymore.

I remember from the 1980s this really annoying commercial for Jello Pudding Pops.  Bill Cosby would say in this really smarmy voice, "Mom won't give you the Evil Eye because it's made of real pudding!" So what?  The point is that consumers are supposed to have some dim notion of pudding as "wholesome," of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment