Thursday, September 26, 2013

The best compliment I've received

I'm not so anxious to get complimented. (I'm happy if I don't get criticized.) I do remember one from the year I spent taking dancing lessons at the Arthur Murray studio about a decade ago.  It cost me about $15,000, but it improved my posture. (Watch how I push a shopping cart now.)

Anyway, my dance teacher Cynthia called me a gentleman.  That's because at the studio's dance parties I'd make an effort to dance with every girl in the place.  And if I saw a new girl, I'd dance with her first.  It wasn't so much that I wanted to be gentlemanly; more that I needed some scheme otherwise I wouldn't know whom to dance with at all.  I have Asperger's Syndrome and we tend to be like that.

I've had a lot of people tell me I'm smart, but that doesn't seem so important. (Einstein said that imagination is more important than knowledge.) Sometimes when people like me, I wonder why.  But that's better than wondering why people don't like you (or worse, knowing why they don't).

I saw a documentary about Dolly Madison which mentioned a compliment she received:  someone said that after you met her, you'd not only like her, you'd like yourself more than you did before.  I hope I'll be worthy of a compliment that high someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment