Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The joys of senility

My mother died a few months ago, and in her last years, I could see her slowing down.  She spent a lot of time in bed, and when she went outdoors she needed someone's arm to hold.  And her eyesight declined.  She could no longer sew buttons back on, and she had a hard time reading, something she greatly enjoyed.  But my father is still very active, selling used books online and helping to renovate the house.

I'm only 51, and not yet senile. (People tell me I look young for my age.) I now use bifocals, and sometimes have trouble focusing on really small writing, but my eyesight is basically intact.  And I still hear well.  I have a few grey hairs, and I'd actually welcome some more around my temples.  Seems to me I'd have a more sophisticated look then. (Maybe I should frost them!)

But it's true that I don't quite have the energy I once had.  I've visited London, England, several times and always do a huge amount of walking and sightseeing.  But when I visited last year, my feet got sore.  After visiting the big museums in South Kensington, I was glad to bathe my feet in the Princess Diana fountain.  Or maybe I'm just more sensitive to sore feet than I used to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment