Sunday, November 2, 2014

Best present moment ever

What was my best present moment?  Well, the best eight months of my life was researching my Ph.D. thesis in London, England, in the mid-1990s.  I did do a lot of research, but I found time to do a lot of other stuff.  I went to a Proms concert in Albert Hall.  I even went on a couple of protest marches for Bosnia, and heard Vanessa Redgrave speaking in Trafalgar Square. (That's a once in a lifetime experience.) And I saw a dozen plays, and the silent movie Sunrise accompanied by a live orchestra at the Royal Festival Hall!

I had a lot of enjoyable experiences.  I actually enjoyed food shopping because I felt independent.  And there was the time I wanted to find this statue of John Bunyan.  I found the spot on a map but when I went there I couldn't see it.  Then one day I was riding in the top half of a Routemaster bus, and there was the statue!  They'd put it outside a church at the second-storey level.

I also enjoyed visiting Hampstead in the north. (There was the Everyman Cinema there, where I saw movies like Vanya on 42nd Street.  You could get there by subway, but I preferred the bus.  Once I went on a walking tour of that neighbourhood where they showed the house that was the model for Admiral Boom's house in Mary Poppins, and a place where you could see part of the dome of St. Paul's Cathedral.

No comments:

Post a Comment