Monday, November 10, 2014

Future books to read

I have an ambition to read every novel that's been made into a Classics Illustrated comic book.  I started doing this last year, and I've already read Last of the Mohicans, Waterloo and the first half of Jules Verne's From the Earth to the Moon. (He told the story in two books.) The one I'm dreading is Les Miserables, which is really long and sounds pretty shameless.

I've read a lot of Charles Dickens novels, but I still haven't got around to Our Mutual Friend or Dombey and Son.  I heard Marilynne Robinson's Gilead in audio book form, and now I want to read more of her novels, especially Housekeeping.  I haven't read much of George Eliot--just Silas Marner--and I want to read The Mill on the Floss and Middlemarch someday.  Last year I read Mark Twain's travel memoir The Innocents Abroad, and now I want to read his frontier memoir Roughing It.  I recently read Herodotus' history of the wars between Greece and Persia, and now I want to read Thucydides' history of the Great Pelopponesian War and Xenophon's Anabasis.  Seems like whenever I get a book read I end up with two new books I want to read!  I couldn't imagine ever running out of books to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment