Thursday, November 6, 2014

Natural disasters

I haven't had much experience of natural disasters.  Back in 1972 we were travelling in the United States and encountered what was left of Hurricane Agnes. (By that point it was just a storm.) In 1954 my newlywed parents were sailing to Britain on the Empress of Australia when they caught up with the remnants of Hurricane Hazel in the Labrador Sea.  My father got seasick quite a bit, while my mother lay down until she got over it.  She told me that they kept the tablecloths from slipping by making them wet.

I've never been in an earthquake, though once I was in the Robarts Library on the fifth floor when I felt what later turned out to be a tremor in Toronto!  At the time I had a vaguely uncomfortable feeling and had to stop work for a minute.  But I only realized what it was when I heard about it on the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment