Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Scars

When I was almost twenty, I had an operation to remove a stomach ulcer.  I was living in England at the time and had the operation at a hospital near Canterbury.  It was harder on my family than on me. (Someone said, "No young man thinks he is going to die.") I had some major blood transfusions, and I suppose I might have got AIDS like Arthur Ashe, but I didn't!  Just like when my mother didn't take the headache pills that might have been thalidomide...

The operation left a scar down the front of my abdomen, all the way down to my navel. (I can show it to people who are interested.) The sutures also left pinpoints.  I was reading that Dolly Parton had an operation like mine and disguised her scar with a butterfly tattoo!

Do I have emotional scars?  I guess we all do, but in my case they don't seem worth talking about.

I like Howard Hawks' gangster movie Scarface with Paul Muni and George Raft.  Brian de Palma's remake with Al Pacino wasn't nearly as good.  I remember that around the time when the remake was released, I had a dream where I returned to my hometown as a famous criminal!

No comments:

Post a Comment