Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Dolls

I don't have much to say about dolls, being a boy and all, so I'll write some more about puppets.  I remember the CBC puppet show The Friendly Giant, which would start with Bob Homme saying "Look up, look way up..." Behind the closing credits the castle would close its gate, the moon would come out, and a cow would jump over it.  My mother wrote to the show asking them to sing the Newfoundland folk song "I's the B'y That Builds the Boat," and they did!

It was followed by the French show Chez Helene, featuring a puppet mouse called Susie.  The Friendly Giant had all male characters, so this show was all-female for counterbalance.  I didn't learn much French from it, but I do remember them singing "Il Etait Un Petit Navire." (Decades later on Mad Men Don Draper's Quebec wife was singing that song to his kids!)

The other week I had a dream where I was back in school and had to improvise a puppet show, and did so successfully.  I had a Popeye puppet and ended up singing "I'm Popeye the Sailor Man!"

No comments:

Post a Comment