Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Life-changing event

This event didn't exactly change my life, but I remember it strongly.  Just over twenty years ago I spent eight months in London, England, researching my Ph.D. thesis on the Chinese treaty port of Chongqing and the British community there.  Most of my research was at the Public Records Office in Kew, which meant a long commute.  But I also found some stuff at the School of Oriental and African studies, which was a lot closer.

I stayed at Goodenough College in Bloomsbury.  It's a residence for graduate students from all over the world pursuing their studies in London, so I met a wide range of people.  In the later months I really got involved with activities, helping to manage the video club, doing spadework for the recycling program and singing in the choir.

The College has two main residences.  William Goodenough House (where I was staying) had a lot of married people, some with children, so it was like Chongqing's missionary community.  London House was mostly single people, so it was like Chongqing's foreign business community.

I also went to a lot of museums and saw about ten plays.  I've visited London several times since then. (I like Toronto but I love London!)

Just before leaving I ate Chinese food and got a fortune cookie that said, "You will go on a delightful adventure." Can't disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment