Saturday, April 23, 2016

Talk shows

One of the only things I miss from the 1980s is Phil Donahue's talk show.  He had on a wide range of guests, people like Vladimir Posner, a Russian who defended the Soviet system.  I first became familiar with contrarian journalist Christopher Hitchens from seeing him on the show.  I especially liked the earlier years when the show was filmed in Chicago and the audience felt like middle Americans!

I also watched David Letterman's late-night talk show back them.  The show started as 12:35 A.M., and I lived in the Maritimes so we didn't get it till 1:30!  While waiting for it to come on I'd watch the CBC late show where they showed old Warner Brothers movies.  Most of them were short enough that they'd be over by the time Letterman came on, but I didn't see the end of G-Men or Dark Victory of The Life of Emile Zola.

Does anyone remember Mike Douglas' talk show?  I once saw a show where his guests included both six-foot supermodel Margaux Hemingway and the members of Monty Python!

No comments:

Post a Comment