Saturday, June 11, 2016

Substitute teachers

I recall that when I was a schoolboy things would go even worse than usual for me when we had a substitute teacher. (Bullies felt there was nobody to stop them.) I wouldn't want to teach school, even just as a substitute for a short time.

I remember there was an episode of The Waltons where the regular schoolteacher was unavailable and a substitute took over for a few weeks.  She quickly alienated everybody and made a mess of things, like when she insisted on moving a girl to the back row without letting anyone tell her that the girl was hearing-impaired and couldn't hear her from that distance.

You know, I liked The Waltons in the '70s, but now I realize that I had no taste back then!  It was a really cheesy, sentimental show, especially in the last scene when they always said good night to each other and they played this harmonica music. (The walls in their house must have been really thin!) And every episode would start with a two-word title, with the first word being "the": this episode was titled "The Substitute."

And don't get me started on how bad Little House on the Prairie was.  Sheer shamelessness!  And yet Laura Ingalls Wilder's books, on which the show was based, are wonderful kid-lit that grownups can enjoy too. (My History Discussion Group is going to read one in December!)

No comments:

Post a Comment