Monday, June 27, 2016

Game shows

One game show I remember is Truth or Consequences.  They actually renamed a New Mexico town after the show!  Someone said all the contestants seemed to be Nixonites from Iowa.  Bob Barker would start by telling them a riddle that they never knew the answer to so they'd have to "take the consequences." (A lot of the riddles were about nudist camps.) I do remember one riddle that a contestant did know the answer to! "Why don't bachelors drink canned tomato juice?  Because they'd rather squeeze their own tomatoes!" At the end of the show he'd say, "This is Bob Barker, hoping all your consequences are happy ones!"

My mother used to like the game show The Love Connection, where a contestant would choose one of three dates, come back and report how the date went, then see the results of who the audience thought was the best match.  I heard that they threw in some fake contestants to make it more lively!

I remember some of the prizes they plugged on game shows, like Turtle Wax and Sarah Coventry jewelry and Spiegel knitwear. (The Spiegel promo always said "Spiegel, Chicago 60609 Illinois"! They must have done a big catalogue business.)

Mad magazine did a spoof "TV shows we'd like to see." In their version of What's My Line, the show where blindfolded contestants guessed the special guest's identity, the host asked "How did you know it was him?" "I peeked!" And in their version of I've Got a Secret, where they had to guess someone's secret, which was written onscreen for viewers, the secret was "This is a stickup!"

I've heard there's a TV channel with nothing but old game show reruns!

1 comment:

  1. I can say this is the perfect blog for everybody who read and post here everyday. I dont know why I always visit here maybe its so nice to read here a interesting topics all day. So ill be back more to check more updates and new comments.

    http://awriter.org/essaysharkcom

    ReplyDelete