Saturday, July 2, 2016

Science

I've never really got into science fiction.  I did like Frank Herbert's epic sci-fi Dune series.  Someone said that science fiction is the last moral genre in literature.

My father was a nuclear physicist.  He's still concerned about the issue of nuclear armament. (We've been watching the TV series Manhattan, about the scientists who built the first A-bombs.) In the early 1960s he went to a peace conference in Pugwash, Nova Scotia, and heard a speech by cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin.

I don't see how religion and science are so incompatible.  Sure, some literalists insist that the theory of evolution goes against the Book of Genesis, but I imagine scripture as allowing flexible interpretation.  Religion and science really operate in different areas, it seems to me.

I may know more about subjects like geography and chemistry than William Shakespeare did, but he seemed to know everything about life!

The more I learn, the less I feel like I know.  I guess that's wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment