Sunday, July 24, 2016

Comic books

When I was little our house didn't have a lot of superhero comics. (My parents didn't seem to approve of them.) But we got a lot of the more family friendly-ones.  Stuff like Little Lulu and Little Archie and Richie Rich.

Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge were among my favourites. I with they'd build a tiny car like Donald Duck drove.  Some of Uncle Scrooge's adventures brought him to places like Valhalla and the Battle of Marathon! (When I was little, I already knew that the Greeks fought the Persians at Marathon because of the Uncle Scrooge comic.)

Did Richie Rich die and become Casper the Friendly Ghost?  Or did he go to hell and become Hot Stuff?  Harvey Comics' official line was that Casper's the son of ghost parents, which begs the question of what happened to his parents, who are never around.  Did they get resurrected?

One unusual comic I remember is Swing With Scooter, about an English pop star and his swinging friends. (Why yes, this was the 1960s!) The best character was Malibut the weirdo.

My mother really like Jerry Lewis. (She took us to a few Jerry Lewis movies, including The Big Mouth and Hook, Line and Sinker.) And we got several Jerry Lewis comics too.

And we had a lot of Classics Illustrated comics, both the regular series and a junior series with fairy tales. (Each issue had a fairy tale, an Aesopian fable, a poem and a page about a member of the animal kingdom.)

No comments:

Post a Comment