Friday, July 8, 2016

Boarding house

I've never been in a boarding house.  My mother used the expression "boarding house reach" whenever someone managed to reach a long way to pick up food at the dinner table.

I do remember the comic strip Our Boarding House.  It was about Major Hoople, a fat, pompous work-avoider. (His favourite expression was "FAP!") When its creator Gene Ahern left the strip and moved to another syndicate, he created Room and Board, which was essentially the same strip except that Major Hoople became Judge Piffle!

There was also a one-hit rock band called Major Hoople's Boarding House. (Not to be confused with another band called Mott the Hoople.) I don't remember the title of their only hit single.  I wonder how much difficulty they had getting permission from the syndicate to use that name.

No comments:

Post a Comment