Thursday, November 24, 2016

Sunset

I've seen quite a few sunsets in my life.  I wish I'd seen more sunrises, but that requires waking up early.  My sister Moira gets up really early. (There have been times when she woke up before I got to sleep!)

Did you know that the sky is blue because of the dust in the air?  And sunsets are read because the sunlight comes at a slant and passes through more air, hence more dust.

In tropical countries sunsets are really short because the sun takes a course through the sky close to the azimuth (a line perpendicular to the horizon), while here its course is more slanted.  On the other hand, in the north on summer nights you'll get a really long evening twilight followed closely by a really long morning twilight.

Anyone remember the instrumental hit "Canadian Sunset"?  We had it on the easy listening record James Last and His Musical World.  And one of my favorite songs in Fiddler on the Roof (one of my favorite musicals) is "Sunrise, Sunset." For a wedding song, it has a surprisingly elegaic tone!

No comments:

Post a Comment