Saturday, December 24, 2016

Airports

When I was little and Father took me and my siblings off Mother's hands for a while, he wouldn't know what to do so he'd drive us up to Moncton airport so we could watch the planes take off and land.  On one of those occasions I got really quarrelsome, and I don't remember why!

Visiting an airport is fun when you aren't the one flying and don't have to worry about being on time and such.  Besides Moncton, I've also been to Halifax airport several times, which is some distance from the city.  And I've been to Toronto's Pearson airport quite a few times.  As well as Heathrow, which is a bit of a monster.  

When you're actually flying you sometimes have time to kill in an airport concourse.  I'm often looking for places then to get rid of cash before flying to a new country.  And after you arrive you may be waiting for your luggage to appear on the carousel.  I've read that when you arrive at Lagos airport in Nigeria, you have to grab your luggage on its first carousel turn, otherwise someone else will!

Ever see the Aiport disaster movies of the '70s?  They're kind of fun in a shameless way.  One thing that bugged me about the second one was that they had an overnight flight going westward, when they only go eastward in real life!  If I could be any movie character, I think I'd be Al Petroni, the veteran pilot played by George Kennedy in all the movies.  In the first one he managed to lift a jet off a runway in the nick of time.  When his assistant said "The manual said that can't be done!" he replied, "That's the good thing about a 707.  It can do everything but read!"

No comments:

Post a Comment