Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Protest marches

I've been in a few demonstrations over the years...

I once went on a peace march in Toronto, when I lived there back in 1982. (I think it started at Christie Pits.) Our chant went: "What do we want?" "Peace!" "When do we want it?" "Now!"

In 1995 when I lived in London I went on a couple of marches for Bosnia after Srebrenica got overrun.  In one of them we walked down the middle of Park Lane!  In Trafalgar Square I heard Vanessa Redgrave and former Labour Party leader Michael Foot denouncing the inaction of the West.

I wa also at a non-marching protest outside the Nigerian embassy after they hanged Ken Saro-Wiwa.  I think I was the only white guy there!

A year or two ago, after some white supremacist group denounced admitting Syrian refugees to Canada, I went on a march in support of the refugees. We started near Jane station and walked east along the Bloor Street sidewalk.

Last spring I was in the Toronto march for action on climate change.  They had a First Nations drum up front, and at the University & Queen corner some of us danced in a circle around it!

No comments:

Post a Comment